Wednesday, August 26, 2009

DC Recap

I leave for London today so I thought it would be a good time for a recap of my week and a half in DC.
On Sat the 15th, my mom picked me up at G's apt in NY (thanks Mom for braving the city so I didn't have to carry those bags again) and we drove down to DC together. She had just spent a week in Maine so it was on the way home for her.
On Tuesday, it was my moms birthday and we went Canoeing on the Potomac River.
There were three of us newbies, me, mom and moms friend Marny and 3 guides Pat, Dorcas and Dickson. The river was warm and the day beautiful. We went down the river and found a spot in a flat rock to have lunch. Dorcas made an amazing lemon pie for my moms birthday. After lunch it started to rain. It was a little scary with lightning but the storm passed quickly and we got to run a small rapid. Mom and Pat flipped their canoe but remained unhurt which made for a fun birthday adventure. As we went down the last stretch of the river to our pull out, it started raining again. A nice calm warm summer rain. It was lovely! I got to spend both my parents birthdays with them this year. It was a treat.
The other big thing from DC is that G came down to visit. I know we had just seen each other but
when I realized that I could fly out of DC for the same price as NY and would not be returning to the city, I asked her to come down for a little more bff time. She took the bus down on Friday night and we spent the whole evening drinking wine (2 bottles to my moms chagrin) and talking. It seems we never run out of things to say.
On Saturday it was G and D do DC. We went to the mall, said hi to Obama (well the house anyway, the fam was out of town), went up in the Washington Monument, saw dinosaurs and diamonds, Monet and Picasso and had some astronaut ice cream. (Those would be the Museum of Natural History, the National Gallery and the Air and Space Museum). Then when we were thoroughly exhausted, we went back to the house. We ate dinner at The Pines of Rome, my favorite restaurant and then drove back to the mall to see the monuments at night. I think G got a good taste for the nations capital and mom and I got to give our favorite tour.
Sunday we did another mom and daughter favorite and went to the C&O canal and out to Great Falls. We had taboli and corn for lunch and then load G on her bus back to NY. I am so glad she came down.
As for the rest of the days, we have been running errands, doing house work, making good food like the pesto and tomatoes from my moms garden, drinking plenty of wine and mainly staying in the house to keep out of the DC humidity. Time with my mom has been really nice. I have been thinking a lot and slowing down my average speed. I needed to do that. And now I think I am ready to go. Ready to see where this train I have put myself on takes me. Ready to really gain the perspective I have been seeking.

There are more pictures viewable with the link on the right. I am also working on a way to sign up for email notifications when I post something new. I'll let you know when I get that working.

No comments:

Post a Comment