Monday, August 17, 2009

First stop, NYC

Lets back up a bit shall we, to my first stop, NYC. I flew to New York cause the original plan had been to leave my cat, Fiona, with my best friend G. About a week out, I realized that I have a 14 year old cat who was about to fly across the country just to very possibly be flown right back again. So I put out a call on Facebook to see if anyone wanted to essentially borrow a cat and what do you know, a coworker of mine was hoping to get a cat without the long term commitment and since I have a feeling I will end up back in Seattle, I thought it would be better not to traipse her across the country twice at her age. So she is a member of the Michael and Jessica household and is hopefully treating them very well.
So no cat to NY which meant I still had a free checked bag spot. So in order to save on shipping, I brought a bunch of clothes in my backpacking pack. Here is a photo of me with all my bags that I carried on the subway from JFK to Spanish Harlem.

I finally made it to my friend, my sweet sweet friend. G is my best friend from college and one of the most amazing women I have ever met. I feel so lucky to know her. We spent the next 3 days laughing, crying, drinking, yogaing and generally being happy to be able to talk in person.
We also got to see Melissa's husband Patrick play softball in Central park and went to see my friend Liz perform stand up on Friday night which was a riot. That girl is going to go places!
But I'm not going to sugar coat it, it was a hard 3 days. What I am doing is scary and I definitely broke down a lot during my time in NY. G was very patient with me which I can't even tell you how much I appreciated.
But we did manage to have some fun and brunch on Saturday morning complete with mimosas was a nice way to end my time there.
On Saturday my mom picked me up (and thank goodness cause I really didn't want to get back on the subway with all those bags) and off we drove to DC. More on that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment