Saturday, October 10, 2009

Holy crap, this place is amazing.

Plitvice National park is in Croatia between Zagreb and the coast. Several people recommended that we come here and since my mom loves to hike, here we are. And holy moly…it is stunning. It is a series of lakes with waterfalls made by the high calcium content in the water. The water is making stone.

It’s so funny to be on this trip because when you are traveling in another country you think, ooo I am going to see landscapes I have never seen before. And then you are on the train and look out the window and think, it looks like New Mexico or California or some other place you already know. And a similar thing happened to me today at this park. Now don’t get me wrong, this park is unlike anything I have seen, but still, when Morgan and my mom were raving about the color of the water, I had already seen it before. The water is a pristine turquoise, a color I was so stunned by when Kevin and I went hiking on the Hoh river in Washington. How can they be so similar? How can I be so far from home and see something that I already know.

But after that, once we got down close to the water I saw clearer water than I have ever seen before. It was so pristine and the beautiful sound of rushing water everywhere you went. I took way too many pictures trying to capture even a glimpse of the beauty of this place. I hope you can get a sense of it.

And our hotel…Ahhhh….it is so nice to be pampered sometimes! Nice beds, dinner included (I ate so much trout the first night I felt a little ill), and a sauna. Really, what more could you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment